Tuesday, November 20, 2007

No Red Meat

On of the items on my daily check list is "no red meat". I added this in May in anticipation of my upcoming retirement, at a time when a number of office-related items needed replacing.

Since I give myself 3 days of credit for each day it is complied with, this is an item I can "work ahead" on. Initially I worked ahead significantly since I started the category in May, and the pages for credits didn't start until August. However, a month ago the calendar caught up to me, and I was no longer ahead of it. Now all of a sudden I am ahead again. Saturday I made an awesome chicken rice soup, with 6 big carrots, 3 celery stalks, 2 onions, and a whole baked chicken. Adding in a healthy batch of brown rice and some great seasonings, it made for a great soup. The next day I made tuna salad for sandwiches, and voila!, I had my no red meat stuff ready to go for days to come.

Don't get me wrong, I like a good steak as much as the next person. But the studies uniformly show that a steady diet of red meat is not good for us. An emphasis on a no red meat diet has to be the way to go, and I feel good about again having "worked ahead" in that category.

*****

Today's quote: "Poor Faulkner. Does he really think big emotions come from big words? He thinks I don't know the ten-dollar words. I know them all right. But there are older and simpler and better words, and those are the ones I use."

This is part of a famous exchange between Faulkner and Hemingway, two American Nobel Prize winning novelists. The controversy was started by Faulkner, who wrote of Hemingway: ‘He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary.’

I have recently read "Tjhe Snows of Kiliminjaro", and it is apparent that Hemingway has no need to use big words. Point here to Hemingway.

No comments: