Monday, March 17, 2008

My Potato Soup

Having looked unsuccessfully for a long time for a potato soup recipe that appealed to me, I decided Saturday evening to make up my own soup.

I put together the following ingredients: water, potatoes, carrots, celery, asparagus, spinach, green onions, shrimp, butter, and cheese.

Results: It was pretty good. I used new potatoes and the skins were falling off the potatoes after cooking, so I think next time I will use regular potatoes peeled and thinly sliced. The shrimp was rubbery and hard and I will leave those out next time. Celery and cheese will also be left out.

What was really good was the spinach. This is the first time in my life I have bought fresh spinach (and also first time for green onions and fresh asparagus), and it was great! Next time I wil make it primarily a potato and spinach soup. I'm not sure about the asparagus; I had bought it 2 weeks before so it was somewhat old by the time I used it.

1 comment:

Philip Weaver said...

Shrimp should be cooked for a VERY short amount of time. For example, after you add shrimp to boiling water, immediately turn the heat off. The shrimp will be cooked by the time the water cools.

If you liked canned spinach, then steamed fresh spinach will be a real treat. Just wash the spinach and put it in a pan on medium-low heat. The water from washing the spinach is enough to cook it. You'll find that a huge bunch of spinach will cook down into about 1/5th its original volume, or less. Some experts say that humans assimilate vitamins and minerals from steam spinach better than from fresh spinach.